Friday, March 26, 2010



I have friends, Ana and John, a Christian couple, who are old friends. They live in San Francisco. About a decade ago, I guess Ana saw our newspaper ad and called me saying "Please visit my parents in San Jose. They are Japanese. They don't know Jesus". So I visited Ana's parents, Rick and Nancy. Actually they are Nisei (second generation Japanese-Americans), but Nancy especially spoke Japanese with no accent. Nancy soon accepted Jesus and went home to be with the Lord about 8 years ago.

Then Rick sold his house and moved into his daughter's house in San Francisco. Ana sometimes would call me and ask for prayer for Rick's salvation. Rick had never confessed his faith in Jesus. A while after Rick moved to San Francisco, he entered a skilled nursing facility in San Francisco's Japantown.

Recently, I received a phone call from Ana, so Cynthia and I visited Rick. This time we were accompanied by T-san, the 103 year old lady.

We found out that Rick is now a Christian. Ana and John were there too. I introduced T-san to them. They were so surprised upon learning T-san's age, even though Rick was 97.

Actually Rick was under hospice care. I think he will pass soon. However, I asked him, "Rick, do you remember me? I am the Japanese pastor, Abe Ishihara. I used to visit your home in San Jose. Your wife was still alive in those days." Then it seemed he remembered me.

T-san was great. She spoke to Rick, "You are only 97 years old. You are younger than I. Gambare, gambare! (Have confidence to live!)"

I mentioned T-san's salvation to Ana and John. They were quite amazed.

We were at peace knowing these seniors are under the care of our Lord Jesus.

On our return, we went to San Francisco Japantown and had fellowship with some coffee and cake. It was another wonderful day.

(Photo: at San Francisico J-town with Ana, John and T-san)

1 comment:

  1. Ana's dad passed away about a week after we visited him. Well, now he is with Him.

    ReplyDelete