Sunday, March 7, 2010

Lompoc visit




By T.H.


In the morning of February 3rd, 2010 I had my usual breakfast: a slice of toast, one egg, salad and coffee. Then suddenly Sensei asked me, “T-San, let’s go to Lompoc.” I had only recently heard about Lompoc. While K(my son) and I were in Japan after World War II, my husband sent us a lot of packages quite often. In those days in Japan, everything in virtually every category was scarce. Therefore any “goods” he sent to us were very precious to us. When I recall those days, I always appreciate his generosity--tears come to my eyes.
I know Lompoc is located far from San Jose, so I said to Sensei at first, “Thank you, but no, it is too far.” I felt that it would greatly inconvenience him if he were to take me there. However, Sensei repeatedly insisted that I go. So finally I accepted his generous offer. Actually, I did not know about the city of Lompoc for many years. After I came to this senior home I finally heard the name of Lompoc. I came back to the U.S. in 1954, at which time my husband and I talked about our lives during the post war period. He mentioned that he was working at a seed company, but he did not mention where it was located and I did not ask what city it was in. I did not care about it in those days; it seemed a trivial detail.
Now Sensei and I are writing my autobiography. We needed some information of the post war period. So he asked my son, James where my husband, Enji was working right after we were separated. James said that Enji was working at a seed company in Lompoc. Thus I learned where my husband was in those days. Although we never lived together in that city, that city has significance to me. We drove on US101 southwards. I felt we had driven so many miles, I finally asked Sensei, “Are we driving in Mexico?" He laughed and laughed. I was sitting in the front seat, so I could enjoy seeing the rural scenery all the time. I thought again that America was really grand. After a little more than a 4 hour drive, we arrived at Lompoc. Sensei questioned the employees of one seed company. I believe Sensei was relaying my history to them. They were quite serious while he talked. Finally a man by the name of Sal said, “I believe this is not the company which you are looking for, because this company was founded in the 1960s. I think you might want the Ball Seed Company, because that company was founded before the war.” According to Sal, the Pan-American seed company which was a part of the Ball Seed Company, bought the former Burpee Seed Company some time ago. So now it is known as the Ball Seed Company.
It is located not far from Sal’s company and is a ranch. Of course, during the winter when we visited there was nothing blooming. A man told us, if we were to visit here in summer, we would see very many kinds of flowers blooming. He remarked, “It’s a pretty and beautiful sight.” James told Sensei that the Burpee Seed Company was the one which Enji was working at in those days. Therefore we had found it! We just drove around the greenhouses and I imagined what it was like when Enji was working there in those days.
Then we went to one of the nearby post offices. I did not know if in fact it was the same
Lompoc post office that Enji used to send me many packages from, but it could have been.
Then Sensei took me to the seashore. Nearby was the Lompoc Amtrak rail station. Sensei said, “Maybe your husband came here and was thinking of Kenji and you who were living beyond the sunset.” Then again, I recalled my husband of those days with tears. I think I may never visit that city anymore. We stayed in Lompoc for only 2 hours. For other people, it might not be a fun trip, though, for me it was a very significant trip.
Sensei, arigato.

No comments:

Post a Comment